Monday, July 6, 2015

I’m a Married Black (African-American) Republican


OK so one of the three communities to which I belong as described in my title was bestowed on me, the other two I have chosen. I’ve been black all of my life. When did I notice this? I guess it was around the age of five when I went to kindergarten. Even thought I went to an all-black Lutheran school in the city of Detroit, I believe at that age I noticed different people on the television.

I think I’m a conservative (Republican) because I grew up in a household and family where good grades and a college education were encouraged and expected. We didn’t always have a steady cash flow because my father was self-employed as a (dump) truck driver. My mother worked as a nurse most of the time I was growing up. We weren’t on welfare, although I know of a few people in my family who were.

I’ve always had the feeling that if you work hard enough you can get through life. Both of my parents were born in the south. They had humble beginnings. My brothers and I were fortunate enough to be able to attend private school while growing up in Detroit. I’m sure I would have been able to do great in a public school as well.

I voted for my first Republican when Ronald Reagan ran for president in 1980. I don’t always share my affiliation with the Republican Party with others because most of my family and a lot of my friends tend to be very liberal. Once I told my brother that I met a former colleague of his at a Republican function, and he wanted to know what I was doing there.  I really don’t care for the liberal messages I hear in union meetings, so I usually don’t attend. Many people also have a tendency to blame Republicans for all of the happenings in this country. We aren’t all the same. We can’t be put into one category. So for these reasons, on Facebook and in other social situations, I tend to listen and let others speak, and keep my opinions to myself.

I used to participate in many Republican functions on a grass roots level. I worked unsuccessfully on a campaign for several Republican candidates in my township. However, out of that I also campaigned for George W. Bush both times before his successful bids for the presidency. My family and I were able to be in the front row when Dick Cheney came to town. They shook my hand and I believe Mrs. Cheney said something about my young children.  I did meet other black Republicans. It was a nice feeling not being the only one at an event.

These days, I haven’t done much because I feel I need to really research the Republican candidates running in the 2016 presidential campaign. I want to make sure that they share my values. It’s important for me to remain a member of the Republican party for now, because I feel that as a conservative, it’s the best fit.


I’m also a married woman. When did I realize women were married, probably before kindergarten? Up until recently if you were a married woman, your spouse was a man. Times have indeed changed. I’m conflicted on this subject. I’m happy that people are for the most part allowed to marry whomever they wish. However, I’m not comfortable seeing gay and lesbian couples that I don’t know together in public. Characters in television shows are OK, because somehow I “know” them. It will take some time before I become more comfortable. After awhile, it may even seem natural to me.

So now most women can join my married women community. I believe to be married one should participate in either a civil or religious ceremony that’s accompanied by a legal document. I don’t think you can be “married” by just anyone. My cousin became a recognized officiant in order to marry his son and daughter-in-law. I have no problem with that. It was totally legal. I have a problem with people saying they’re married without the legal papers. I know there’s common-law marriage, but I don’t believe that’s official from day one.

No comments:

Post a Comment