Sunday, May 24, 2015

I'm Packing My Bags and Going to Stockholm


If I could visit a city I’ve never been to, I would pick Stockholm, Sweden. I first became interested in Sweden, after taking an Ancestry.com DNA test. My first results said that my ethnic background was about 17% Swedish. I thought that was very cool. I started studying Swedish using Rosetta Stone software. . I found that I really liked the language.  To make a long story short, my DNA results were reanalyzed to reveal a 17% European background, with about 13% Irish. I thought that made sense given how my great grandfather on my mother’s side of the family looks.  The Vikings also went to England and Ireland, so I’m OK with the Irish background.

As we were discussing or favorite reading genres, I surprised my Professor with the revelation that I preferred Swedish Mystery novels. My favorites are the Martin Beck Series by Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö.  I found out about this series when I contacted the author of  “The Ice Cage” (Olivier Nilsson-Julien) regarding other Scandinavian mysteries.

I’ve looked at several websites about Stockholm and Sweden. I’ve listened to Swedish Radio in English. There’s nothing that bothers me about the city, except I know it’s very expensive. One of my cousin’s was able to visit Sweden last year. I really enjoyed hearing his stories and looking at his photos.

I’ve even considered taking a long-distance learning Swedish class.  Once when I was at the ice rink in Chelsea, Michigan, I heard people speaking Swedish. For some crazy reason I didn’t think that was unusual. I really kicked myself when I didn’t see Niklas Lidström behind me. He was just another dad waiting for his kid at the rink. I really love the fact that the Detroit Red Wings have a contingent of Swedish born players.

What I admire about Stockholm is the history, cleanliness, cool designs, and of course the people.

No comments:

Post a Comment